With the help of college counselors and other educators at high schools in Los Angeles County, New York City, and Washington D.C., the Milken Scholars Program identifies outstanding students who will graduate by June of 2018. These students are nominated for the Program based on the following criteria:
- Minimum grade point average of 3.6 (unweighted) or 90% in all academic high school subject areas;
- Minimum composite SAT I Reasoning score of 1250 with results submitted for Evidenced-Based Reading and Writing, and Math, or a minimum ACT score of 28 (This score may be a combination from multiple sittings);
- Active participation in community service activities;
- A record of leadership;
- Financial or Other Obstacles;
- Admission to a four-year college or university prior to final selection; and
- United States Citizenship or Permanent Residency.
Students nominated by their college advisers to participate in the Program must complete a rigorous selection process that includes completion of a five-page application, as well as submission of letters of recommendation, high school transcripts, test score sheets, and a financial aid profile. Finalists are then selected and invited to interview.
Milken Scholars are eligible to receive a range of resources that includes:
- An annual monetary recognition award of $2,000 for each of their four years of college;
- Ongoing academic and career-related counseling;
- Assistance with career-related experiences through internships and shadowing opportunities; and
- A graduate fund, which assists students as they prepare for the world of work or graduate school.
Milken Scholars must commit to attend all annual program activities (expenses paid), including a three-day Summit, and maintain a 3.0 grade point average throughout their undergraduate college careers. Scholars are also encouraged to participate in community service activities in their home and/or school community.
Selection Process Timeline
- Oct. 23, 2017 - Nomination Period Opens (LA, NYC, DC)
- Dec. 8, 2017 - Deadline for Nominations (LA, NYC, DC)
- Dec. 20, 2017 - Application Invitation Emailed to all Eligible Nominees
- Jan. 31, 2018 - Postmark and Online Submission Deadline for Applications and all Application Materials
- March 19-23, 2018 - Finalists Notified (LA, NYC, DC)
- April 18-19, 2018 - Washington DC Interviews Conducted
- April 25-26, 2018 - New York City Interviews Conducted
- May 14-17, 2018 - Los Angeles County Interviews Conducted
- May 7-11, 2018* - New York City and Washington DC New Scholars Notified
- June 11-15, 2018* - Los Angeles County New Milken Scholars Notified
To nominate a student, click here.