Selection Process Update and Spring Campus Visits!
by Gonzales, Janet |
The Milken Scholars selection team have been busy reviewing applications these last couple of months. We have received an overwhelming number of applications from highly qualified applicants in Washington D.C., New York City, and Los Angeles County.
Our nomination period ran from October 23, 2017 and ended on December 20, 2017. Following the nomination period, nominees were invited to apply during the month of January. Since early February, our selection team have been reviewing each qualified application and they have been scoring and commenting on them.
Our Selections process is nearing the end as the selection teams recommend a group of qualified candidates to be considered for interviews and subsequently find the finalists that will make up the Milken Scholars Class of 2018.
The Selections process is not the only exciting development happening this spring. During the last week of March and the entire month of April, Milken Scholars Program staff are traveling across the country for Scholar visits at over thirty schools. We plan to personally touch base with over 100 Milken Scholars at their homes away from home. These visits are an opportunity for program directors and staff to meet with Scholars in groups and individually to offer support, advice or an empathetic ear.
These visits also provide Scholars a chance to maintain contact and support each other, strengthening the active mentorship provided by assigned Milken Scholar mentors all year long. We will hold group gatherings in New York, Cambridge, Philadelphia, Princeton, Palo Alto, Berkeley, and Claremont, and take Scholar-guided tours of Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, UC Berkeley, and many other campuses across the country.
During many of these visits, Alumni Milken Scholars take a break from graduate school or their jobs to enjoy the company of Scholars in the midst of their undergraduate careers. As with all aspects of their involvement, the opportunity they provide to share and listen as peers adds a wonderful element to our get-togethers.
Our updated Selections process timeline is below. Please note that these dates are subject to change and we will do our best to notify applicants of these changes via our website. Interview Finalists will be notified via email.
To read more about the 2018 Selections Process in Washington D.C., New York City, and Los Angeles County, click on the link provided.
We look forward to announcing our Class of 2018 in June!
Selection Process Timeline (Updated 4/5/18)
- Oct. 23, 2017 - Nomination Period Opens (LA, NYC, DC)
- Dec. 8, 2017 - Deadline for Nominations (LA, NYC, DC)
- Dec. 20, 2017 - Application Invitation Emailed to all Eligible Nominees
- Jan. 31, 2018 - Postmark and Online Submission Deadline for Applications and all Application Materials
- March 19-23, 2018 - Interview Finalists Notified - Washington, DC (Notified via Email)
- April 4-10, 2018 - Interview Finalists Notified - New York (Notified via Email)
- April 17-20 - Interview Finalists Notified - Los Angeles (Notified via Email)
- April 18-19, 2018 - Washington DC Interviews Conducted
- April 25-26, 2018 - New York City Interviews Conducted
- May 14-17. 2018 - Los Angeles County Interviews Conducted
- May 7-11, 2018* - New York City and Washington DC New Scholars Notified (Notified by phone call)
- June 11-15, 2018* - Los Angeles County New Milken Scholars Notified (Notified by phone call)